Bloggers.com

Jessica - Find me on Bloggers.com
Powered by Blogger.

"Sweet Simplicity... "

 Tuesday, May 31, 2011

"Our most basic instinct is not for survival but for family... Most of us would give our own life for the survival of a family member, yet we lead our daily life too often as if we take our family for granted..." ~Paul Pearshall

I have to say that this weekend was one of the best that I have had in a long time...no, there were no big trips..no big cookouts...no adventurous escapades...there was simply good quality family time...and it was the absolute best thing for my soul..

I think people forget how simple life can be sometimes...I often think about what life was like back before we had so many distractions...and by distractions I mean TV..Facebook...cell phones..emails...internet...I mean, when did we become so dependant on these things? We want our children to get outside and enjoy the sunshine...to play like we did back when we were kids...but isnt it our job to teach them these things?? Kids learn by example and we as parents are their example...if we cut ourself off from technology every once in a while and get outside with our kids...show them how fun it is to run in the sprinkler (which is what we did back before pools were everywhere)...show them how fun it is to ride bikes up and down the road (which is what we did before there were TV's in everyroom of the house)..show them how fun it is to sit around the kitchen tabel and play a game of UNO (which is what we did back before kids were so enthralled in video games )...also show them how important it is to sit down at the kitchen table everynight and eat supper as a family...instead of sitting around the TV watching our favorite shows...then maybe our kids will keep alive the importance of family values...It is our job to show them that we don't need all these distractions around us to have fun..yes it certainly makes it easier...but in the end, all our kids want is our time..We have so much technology at our fingertips that it is unreal...but we have something much more important at home..and thats our family..

I took a break this weekend from most everything..facebook..the gym...friends...TV... I wanted to get back to a simpler time in my life where everything was not so rush rush rush...I wanted to sit down and have a conversation with Khristian...and eat supper at the table as a family..to play games...to just enjoy each others company...to sit in the quiet and hear my thoughts...to sit on my back patio and enjoy my flowers that are blooming...to smell the sweet sweet smell of honeysuckle...to sit outside under the stars and watch the fireflies and heat lightning...to smile by myself for absolutely no reason at all...except for the fact, that I am totally and utterally happy...To have Khristian look up at me on Sunday afternoon (as it is just him and I out at the pool) and say "Best day ever mom!"... to sleep late and stay in my PJ's all day...to smile at Travis across the room as we catch each others eye...to have Khristian in the kitchen right beside me helping me flip the pancakes that we are cooking for supper...oh how I absolutly love living in a simpler time..

As I come back to reality today...and have to rush to a baseball game this afternoon as soon as I get off...I will not forget how great this last weekend was...I will make a point to relax more and enjoy my family more...after all, they are the most important things in my life...who cares, if I miss a episode of my favorite show...who cares, if I miss a couple status updates on facebook or my emails...None of that matters...only my family does... :)


0 comments:

Post a Comment

Blog template by simplyfabulousbloggertemplates.com

Back to TOP