Bloggers.com

Jessica - Find me on Bloggers.com
Powered by Blogger.

"Just Breathe.."

 Monday, September 26, 2011

"You must remember, family is often born of blood, but it doesn't depend on blood... Nor is it exclusive of friendship... Family members can be your best friends, you know... And best friends, whether or not they are related to you, can be your family..."


Have you ever just needed a break? I mean a complete and total break from everything...work...stress...kids..life..? I think everyone does at some point or another...If not, then I don't think your human...we all need that moment away..that moment where you can gather your thoughts...sit down..close your eyes..enjoy the silenece..quiet your mind...and just breathe...

If you couldn't tell "Just breathe" is my motto in life..On a Monday morning and you spill your coffee on your white skirt..just breathe...your about to kill your child over squished bananas in the bottom of his bookbag..just breathe...the driver that just pulled out in front of you that almost made you hit them and spill your coffee for the second time in one day...just breathe..Your printer has turned into the devil and won't print a single thing and due to the fact that it says "Clear the paper jam" when clearly there is no paper jam to be found..just breathe...you get the point...This was me a couple weeks ago...I was at my breaking point..you know what I am talking about..the point where you feel like you are about to snap...you cry at every little thing...you jump down everyones throat without even realizing it...you feel as though you are carrying the weight of the world on your shoulders..and just when you feel like you can't carry anymore...the last straw comes in...the teacher calls you and preceeds to tell you how your child has been acting up in class..at this point, "Just Breathe.." won't even begin to dent the mounting level of anxiety and stress you feel...

Thankfully, a girl's weekend away was knocking at my door...It was a Friday afternoon and my boss let me off early so I could leave as soon as possible...by 3:30 that afternoon my 2 aunts, step-mother and myself were packed and headed out to a wonderful weekend at the beach...To be honest, I was a little hesitant about going...I, of course, was the youngest one in the car...this was the first time I had really "hung out" with both of my Aunts away from the rest of the family..and definatly the first time I had spent a entire weekend with them...We unpacked our mountains of bags and shoes... (4 women..what do you expect?)..refreshed our make-up and hair and headed out to a fantastic little restaurant called "The Red Bar"..and WOW at the food...I don't think I have ever tasted food so good in my life...better than the food was the atmosphere..I was instantly in my zone...we all got a few drinks and went to sit down in the most quant seating area and waited while a table opened up..we enjoyed a bit of conversation until we were seated at a booth and we ordered another round of drinks and our food...At first, I held back a bit...hanging out with your friends who you can be completly stupid with and they won't judge you is completly different than hanging out with your family who you have always had to be more reserved around...the more we talked the more relaxed I became..and the break I was getting from back home was more than welcome at the this point..I could feel the stress just melting away with every minute...the more we sat there and talked..laughed...took pictures...and just really enjoyed each others company..I felt more comfortable and was extremly glad I came by the end of the night...we stayed until closing time at which point, I was actually sad to see the night end...

The next day was a girl's dream...after a early morning run on the beach with my step-mom and breakfast at a cute little dinner that had the best coffee....we shopped until our feet hurt...stopped in for lunch at happy hour and some appetizer's...and then shopped some more...My aunt had made reservations for us later that night at "The Firefly" (Which is where President Obama ate when he visited the gulf during the BP oil spill)..we dressed up in our finest dresses..heels...and strutted our stuff to the restaurant..now let me tell you, I didnt think the food could get any better than the previous night...but it did..It was absolutly amazing..the atmosphere was so cozy...we had the friendlist waiter..and it was absolutly beautiful in the restaurant...from the ourside it doesnt look like much..but on the inside..gorgeous..it really is a hidden jewel...Here again, it was a night filled with laughter..great conversation..great food...and some great memories...I had began to feel more comfortable as the day had progressed...and for a moment there I just sat in absolute silence and took everything in...the setting, the mood, the atmosphere, the company...and all I could do was smile...and feel incredibly blessed...gone where the feelings of wanting to cover my head with my blanket and just hide from the world...

The next day was pretty quiet...we all slept in...grabbed some breakfast at the little dinner again...One of my aunts and I layed out on the beach for several hours...at about 12 she went in to take a shower and I stayed out for a little longer...laying there on the beach..with my sunglasses on...music playing beside me...sun beaming down...I realized somewhere along the lines...I had stopped thinking of these ladies as my family..and started to think of them as my friends...I had always thought of them as "My Aunts" and "My step-mom"...they were labeled as my family...never in a million years would I have thought that I would replace that title with "friend"...that weekend was a eye opener for us all I think..because not only did I get to see a side of them I had never seen before as a teenager or a adolescent.. but they also got to see a side of me as a adult instead of a child...When your younger, you dont really want to "hang out" so much with your family..if we are all honest with ourselves, there is a clear seperation in our mind between family and friends...what I come to realize, is the seperation is only there if we choose to put it there...

I gained alot from that weekend...it allowed me to "Just Breathe" again...to get that break from life that I needed...and the best thing of all...To really get to know 3 amazing people that I had only really and truly known from a distance...and I gained 3 new friends.... (=

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Blog template by simplyfabulousbloggertemplates.com

Back to TOP